Warfighter Refractive Eye Surgery Center
Application Packet Fort Campbell
Application Packet Off Post
The Warfighter Refractive Eye Surgery Center (WRESC) is located in C-Bldg on the third floor of Blanchfield Army Community Hospital (BACH), telephone number (270) 956-0775, fax number (270) 956-0770. The information below provides general information about refractive eye surgery, who is eligible for surgery and how to enroll.
Our Refractive Surgery Center performs state of the art PRK, all laser LASIK and ICL’s on soldiers from Ft Campbell and surrounding bases. Not everyone will be a candidate for surgery. Soldiers will be advised of their surgical options during their initial evaluation(s).
· Plan Ahead for surgery!
Refractive surgery requires an intensive pre-operative work-up and post-operative care to ensure the best possible surgical result. We frequently decline surgery to otherwise ideal candidates because they did not present to our clinic in time for evaluation or do not have time for adequate healing prior to deployment. If you are in the military, want refractive surgery, and meet the eligibility requirements – please do not delay in submitting your packet. Early evaluation offers you the best chance of getting surgery before deployment.
At this time, refractive surgery is only available for Active Duty/AGR Soldiers. Family members and retirees are not authorized treatment at this time.
Active duty military are eligible for refractive surgery if they meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18 years old
- At least 18 months remaining on active duty at the time of surgery or in conjunction with an executed reenlistment action
- Approval by Commanding Officer (rank of O-3 or above)
- No adverse personnel actions pending
- Ability to meet all pre-operative and post-operative appointments
Category 1: Any Soldier who is combat arms and Soldiers of any specialty who are deploying no less than 60 days from surgery.
Category 2: Non-combat arms Soldiers who are not deploying.
These soldiers are treated on a space-available basis.
Historically, our clinic has been able to treat all Category 1 applicants who apply early enough before deployment (if applicable), and most Category 2 applicants. For this reason, Category 2 Soldiers are encouraged to enroll in the program.
How To Enroll For Surgery
- Download the Packet for Fort Campbell Soldiers or Packet for Non-Fort Campbell Soldiers
- Have the Commander complete and sign the Commander’s Endorsement Letter. (Commander’s are encouraged to contact the clinic with any questions regarding timing of surgery or post-operative care of their soldiers to the clinic at 270-956-0775 or email@example.com.)
- Complete the Refractive Surgery Checklist.
- Complete Aviation Commander’s Authorization if you are on flight status.
- Provide proof of ETS or separation (Enlisted, Officer and Warrant – ERB/ORB, LES, etc.).
- AGR soldiers must also provide a copy of AGR orders.
- Bring eye glasses, or be able to provide a prescription, at least one year old.
Hand-carry, e-mail, or fax the completed packet to the WRESC located in C-Bldg on the third floor of Blanchfield Army Community Hospital. The clinic is open to receive packets M-Th 0730-1500, and F 0730-1100 (closed for lunch from 1100-1200).
After your packet has been received, the WRESC will schedule and complete an evaluation process. The evaluation process consists of at least two separate appointments:
Pre-operative #1 – Approximately 60-90 minute appointment. Extensive diagnostic testing is completed to gather data to determine candidacy for refractive surgery.
Pre-operative #2 – Approximately 2-3 hour appointment. Results of the diagnostic testing will be reviewed and a clinical examination will be performed. You will be dilated for this examination. Your surgical options will be discussed at the end of this appointment.
***Important*** You must be out of your contact lenses for at least two weeks prior to your initial evaluation and discontinue wear through the time of surgery. Contact lenses can change the shape of the cornea which potentially affects diagnostic testing and the surgical outcome.
Once you have been approved, your surgical appointment can be established prior to leaving the clinic. Please coordinate your surgical date with your chain of command.
Warfighter Refractive Eye Surgery Center
650 Joel Drive
Fort Campbell, KY 42223
Comm: (270) 956-0775
Fax: (270) 956-0770